MARINELIVE is an initiative both at a national and European level, aiming at establishing a Centre of Excellence in the field of Marine Electrical Engineering at the School of Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens (NAME-NTUA), as well as at building a European community of “All Electric Ship” (AES) research and technology. MARINELIVE, focusing on the AES technology, addresses the objectives of the FP7 Transport Calls for waterborne transportation (“development of clean and efficient engines and power trains, reducing the impact transport on climate change”), thus contributing to a safe and environmentally friendly ship. In the course of MARINELIVE, the development of NAME-NTUA will build upon the formation of a balanced interdisciplinary research team covering all major aspects of AES research, i.e. electric machines and grids, ship automation and control, as well as propulsion systems and prime movers. The objectives of MARINELIVE will be realized via:
- attraction and recruitment of qualified researchers of Greek origin now working abroad
- two-way exchanges of know-how and experience with leading European Institutions
- acquisition of equipment essential for AES research, and upgrade of current infrastructures
- organization of international workshops and conferences, and
- spreading excellence via a series of dissemination activities including organization of Open-Days, and participation in international exhibitions and conferences.
MARINELIVE will substantially enhance the capacity of NAME-NTUA to perform world-class research and to attract future research projects in Marine Electrical Engineering, and will strengthen the School’s leading position in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. MARINELIVE will also strengthen Europe’s industry related to “All Electric Ship” applications, and contribute substantially to the maturing of the AES technology and its adoption by the maritime industry.
- WP1: Project Management
- WP2: Two-Way Exchanges
- WP3: Recruitment and Activities of Incoming Experienced Researchers
- WP4: Acquisition, Upgrading and Installation of Equipment
- WP5: Organisation of Workshops and Conferences
- WP6: Dissemination of results